»

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Bag Making Basics Part 6............Directions to cut Interfacing & Fabric

I have been feeling horrible about neglecting my blog past few days so  I decided today is going to be NO SEWING DAY.....................I am going to continue with my Bag Making Series & add on something which is long pending & due.

And no I am not going to act smart & tell you pick your scissors & cut the interfacing;)

With experience I have learnt a few key secrets which I am going to share with you all...........there is a way of cutting interfacing too!

The first thing you need to know is every fabric has 2 directions.....warp direction & the weft direction!?!
This is what they mean

Warp Direction
 The warp  is the direction along the length of a fabric.It is also called as the machine direction or the lengthwise direction.

Weft Direction 
The weft is the direction transverse to the warp or the width wise direction.

If you cut the fabric & the interfacing the right way,your purse will turn out to be stable & will not loose shape after usage ! See this clutch????
See the lovely shape..............this has only one layer of interfacing & it looks great!

The thing  to remember when cutting the interfacing is that it should be always transverse to the direction of the fabric.he he he................I know I have confused you!
Well...........lets say your outer fabric is 15" by 11". You have cut  15" in the warp direction(lengthwise) & 11" in the weft direction(width wise).................so while cutting interfacing for this outer fabric,you will reverse the warp & weft.
That means you will cut interfacing in 15" weft wise & 11" warp wise.....................I hope this is clear?
So now when you fuse the interfacing to the outer fabric you will have both directions  warp wise which is the secret behind the lovely shape of the clutches & purses you see being sold commercially!

Ain't I great;)
Try this & see the difference:)

1 comments:

Daisy

I should have read this before I cut fabrics and interfacing for 5 purses! I have no idea about which direction I cut everything, never knew it mattered. I'll definitely use this plan when I cut the next batch! Thanks so much!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails