»

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Happy Friendship Day!

It was in august 1996 when I first heard of friendship day.I had just taken admission to engineering college & was trying to make friends,get to know people.There was a buzz around college about Friendship Day approaching & I had NO clue what it was & I was too embarrassed to ask!

In due course I did find out that the first Sunday of every august was Friendship Day..................with newly made friends I embarked on the journey of buying Friendship Bands ,never realizing the true meaning of those bands & the long lasting effect it would have on me!

source
The first person I tied the band to was my best bud to this date..........Uma..........she was the most beautiful girl in the college with all boys following her but she was too snooty to see them:)

Somehow we clicked from day 1.................we were barely 16 year olds & loved giggling over silliest of the things,bunking classes to watch movies,lying to our parents to go watch "Kamasutra"..................LOL I won't spill any more secrets,its enough to say we were partners in crime:)

source
Every year on Friendship Day,we would religiously go to a place called Hongkong lane to buy our bands................she is not the crafty types & neither was I back then,so never really thought of making them...........we would ask each other "which one do you like?" & buy that :)................In college we were known as Uma-Priti........not many knew which one was who,such was our bond!



It's been 16 years since we know each other,now we are thousands of miles away, we are responsible moms,she is a very successful career woman with a caring husband & 2 little angels.................we don't get to talk as much now thanks to our busy lives..............but every friendship day,there is a tear in my eye missing tying the band on her wrist....................miss going to the narrow hongkong lane searching for that perfect 15 bucks band ,secretly buying a card for each other in the same shop:)


We  now wear diamonds,haven't tied a cheap band on for past 12 years,but how I wish we were together to tie that band,I will gladly put away my diamonds if it means getting together with my friend like all those years ago with no responsibility ,no worries ,just the warmth of friendship ,planning the next movie & lies to tell our professors to cut classes:)


There are times when I am so nostalgic like today when I do not want to be a mon,wife,business women.......I just want to shed all these responsibilities,be carefree once again,I mourn the loss of my individuality lost somewhere between caring for my home & hearth..............& I know it's the same with my gal pal................we do meet once in a while but with the baggage of kids,hubby,our busy schedules,it's not the same!

source
 But this is inevitable though I keep thinking when our kids are grown & not so dependent on us,we will meet just US,go to that dusty lane,shop,buy a band & celebrate our Friendship.........................is it a date Ums!

3 comments:

uma

thanks sweetie for the walk down the memory lane...miss u!

uma

yes its a date dear!! we'll surely plan some day and relive those fun days...and the journey wld start in pune :)

Cafe Fashionista

What beautiful photographs! Happy, Happy Friendship Day! :)

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails