»

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Raksha Bandhan

Today-13/8/2011 is Raaksha Bandhan or Rakhi as it is commonly called in India.This is the special day of all brothers & sisters!
It can be safely assumed that the friendship band in vogue today is an extension of the Rakhi custom.

The chaste bond of love between a brother and a sister is one of the deepest and noblest of human emotions. 'Raksha Bandhan' or 'Rakhi' is a special occasion to celebrate this emotional bonding by tying a holy thread around the wrist. This thread, which pulsates with sisterly love and sublime sentiments, is rightly called the ‘Rakhi’. It means 'a bond of protection', and Raksha Bandhan also signifies that the strong must protect the weak from all that’s evil!

Here is my daughter tying Rakhi on her brother's wrist:)


LOL................yeah that is a Doraemon Rakhi:)..............even the rakhis have to be in sync with the latest trend ,right ?!?
This is the traditional Rakhi thali (plate) used to perform the ceremony.....................it has an oil lamp,kumkum(vermillion) to put on the brother's forehead,akshata(rice) ..................it is said the number of rice that sticks on the forehead equals the number of blessings he gets!................the Rakhi,sweets,gold to cast off any evil eye(I put my gold ring on the plate).....in turn the brother is supposed to give her gifts,since I was too lazy to go & buy her something,I put some cash on the Thali,as its inauspicious without it!


When I was growing up,Rakhi didn't really mean much to me,it was just another holiday for me as I don't have a brother but seeing my kids celebrate Rakhi every year,I have truly understood the significance of this custom!




And my son insisted they tie a Rakhi to Doggie B too,as he is a family member :)................he was mighty amused & polished off all the sweets on the plate when I was not looking!



I used to love this song from a Hindi movie "phoolon ka taaron ka".................... the brother is singing this for his lil sister who is upset & crying ,it goes something like "flowers,stars & everyone say,my sister is one in thousands,& we have to stay together forever"..................LOL my translation skills are pretty bad but the song is lovely & very touching & I am going to show it to my kids today:)

Unfortunately the YouTube embedding for song is disabled:(...................just adding the link to it!
http://youtu.be/xmaEAEMNfKY

God bless my kiddies & may their love for each other strengthen with every passing year & they remain best of friends forever:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails