Indian lunch & dinners traditionally consist of a lentil,a veggie,curd with chapati or parantha along with rice.This is accompanied with pickles,salads,papads & something sweet too!!!!!!!!
So yes,its quite an elaborate affair.We do not have the concept of frozen meals like west.Everything is freshly prepared .The main reason behind it is that the (IN)famous Indian heat will spoil food if kept for a longer time.Besides we are so used to eating fresh food that most of the Indians wouldn't ever eat food made more than 4-5 hrs back!!!!!!!
So like I told you what all things are made PER meal.................it is also a time consuming affair.
This sunday I was in no mood to spend my sunday morning in the kitchen so I decided to go in for a famous delicacy(read short cut recipe) - Pulao.
Pulao is basically rice cooked with lot of veggies & combine it with curd & pickles & you are ready to go:)
Here is what it looks like.YUM right:)
Ok lets start rolling.This is all you will need (will suffice 4-5 people)
1. 2 bay leaves
2. 2 star anise
3. 3-4 cloves
4. 3-4 black pepper corns
5. 2" stick of cinnamon
6. 2 onions sliced
7. 1 capsicum - cut into strips
8. 1 small cauliflower - cut into florets
9. 3 carrots- cut into small pieces
10. 1 beetroot - cut into 1" pieces
11. 15 french beans - cut into pieces
12. 1 cup shelled peas
13. Any other veggies you think go along with rice
14 .2 cups rice( any small cup will do)
15. salt to taste
16. 2 tbsp oil
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker.You can use a rice cooker too.
2. When oil is heated , add the dry condiments & stir fry for 1 minute.
3. After stirring it add onions.Stir them for 4-5 minutes till they are translucent.Now add all the veggies & fry like for a good 8-10 minutes.
4. The veggies exude such a wonderful aroma ..........you have to make it to believe it!!!!
Indians generally put in a few spices here like red chilly powder & garam masala,but neither my hubby nor my kids are fond of them so I don't put them but if you want to experiment add a tbsp or tsp if you are not too adventurous:)
5. This is the stage where you can put turmeric too but I love the colour beetroot imparts to the rice so I skip turmeric too!
Just add washed rice now & mix it all well & fry for another 3-4 minutes
6. Add salt & mix thoroughly.Add 2.5 cups water if you are using a pressure cooker or just enough water to cook the rice :)
Pressure cook for 2 whistles or till the rice cooker indicates its done:)
Accompany this with curd & you are ready to enjoy a lazy sunday lounging around the house with the brats in tow:)